Home

Julstro Method Forum

A Pain-Free Living Community

Have you benefitted from the Julstro Method of self-treatments?

Submit a Testimonial!

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Scapula Burning
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:36 am 

Scapula Burning....yup, that is what I have been blessed with off and on for the last couple of years. I have tried all of the following and still yet now I am not rid of it yet:
Various visits to several neurologist and neurology surgeons, physical therapy, muscle stimulators at PT and at home, Tens Unit, several cortozone injections to the cervical disc, discogram, milogram, several MRI's with and without dye, CAT scans, a nerve block, and finally surgery to fuse c3-c4. I was actually without any pain for approximately 6 months after surgery and now it's back. Not as intense, but it's back. It has really scared me, because here I am left with a 5-6 inch scar on the front of my neck, all to get rid of this intense burning in my left scapula/shoulder area...and for what? I have the scar and the pain to go with it. My surgeon sent me back to start physical therapy again. I just don't want to go down this road again. For what? After researching once again online about other avenues, I ran across your website. Please tell me, what if anything can be done to once and for all be pain free again??? Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Scapula Burning
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:55 am 

Hi rnh67,

What a horrible story! Okay, let's start with why your scapula is in pain. When the pain is burning it means that a nerve is being impinged, and that usually means a bone is pressing on the nerve. Unless you have had an accident that has pushed bones out of alignment, the only way a bone moves is a muscle pulls on it. So, let's go with the assumption that one or more of your muscles are in spasm and are causing this problem.

Here's a list of muscles that refer to your scapula, or the area right next to the scapula:

1. scalenes (huge, this muscle causes burning pain right along the inside of the scapula)
2. infraspinatus
3. teres minor and teres major
4. subscapularis
5. levator scapulae
6. trapezius

As I re-read your list of various treatments and therapies you've gone through, I didn't notice massage. Nice, relaxing massage won't work, but focused trigger point therapy could successfully treat the spasms that are most likely causing the problem. I've been teaching people how to self-treat trigger points for 20 years, it's amazing the results people get when they find the source instead of treating the symptom.

You've been through so much, I agree that surgery isn't always the solution, and it causes scar tissue so it can be a part of the problem. Did you read the Home Page of this website? It may answer some questions if you read about repetitive strain injuries. I know we can work on the muscles, and the odds are good that it will help.

Do you have any of my books? If not, I suggest you get the ebook version of Treat Yourself to Pain-Free Living . Then do all of the treatments shown for the neck, shoulder, upper back and chest. Also, go to http://www.aboutcts.com and then to the section titled "Anatomy Lessons." You'll see a graphic of the scalenes and the descriptive text that talks about how the muscle impinges on a bundle of nerves called the brachial plexus. The brachial plexus is the bundle of nerves that ultimately innervate your scapula as well as most of the upper body and down your arms.

Let me know how you're doing, I'll keep working with you until we find the source of your problem, and then we'll talk about the scar tissue and if anything can be done about it.

Wishing you well,
Julie